The Grotto cave is approximately 30 feet wide, 30 feet deep and almost 50 feet high. It was carved out of the face of the cliff in 1923. Fr. Ambrose Mayer, founder of The Grotto, placed a replica of Michelangelo’s Pietà in the cave in 1946. The statue of the Virgin Mother holding Jesus in her arms is made of Carrara marble.
<< Back to Garden Discovery